POSITION SUMMARY: The Account Manager is responsible for providing prompt, accurate, and courteous support services to clients and co-workers. The essential functions of the position include service to advisors and clients by handling policy inquiries, changes, quotes and billing inquiries over the telephone or electronically.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide technical support to Advisor; specifically in analyzing client needs, coverage forms and quotations.
- Schedule appointments with clients as requested.
- Accompany Advisor on prospect and client meetings when requested.
- Actively seeks referrals from current client base.
- Order and issue binders, certificates, policies, endorsements and other related items; verify accuracy and forward to the client with appropriate correspondence.
- Determines reasons for requests for cancellations; acts to save accounts; notifies Advisor(s) according to agency standards.
- Actively solicits increase in coverage and rounds accounts through sales to clients; leaves good documentation of all contacts.
- Refers current and prospective clients to other departments for solicitation of those lines of business.
- Assists clients with making coverage changes in an automated environment supported by transactional filing; determines if delayed or advanced billing is appropriate and invoices accordingly; uses each contact with the client as an opportunity to review the whole account, round it and market.
- Assists clients in submitting first reports of claims, obtaining adjustors or visits from agency staff; facilitates prompt response from carrier staff and follows-up on claims status to keep clients informed and to work toward settlement of all claims; uses each claim contact as an occasion to review coverages and market as needed.
- Reviews audits of policies, verifies accuracy, and facilitates corrections, as needed, between client and carrier.
- Determine if direct or agency billing is appropriate and invoice accordingly.
- Invoice agency billed policies.
- Processes and follows-up on cancellation requests to carriers to ensure accurate and timely resolution; maintains agency in financial equity whenever possible.
- Review client contracts for insurance requirements. Compare to policy to ensure contract complies. Discuss discrepancies with client and submit changes to carrier.
- Identify exposure to loss and recommend appropriate coverages in coordination with Advisor
- Prepares summaries of insurance, schedules, and proposals as needed for account review.
- Request renewal quotes from the insurance carrier, creates renewal proposals, and handles other renewal activities in coordination with the Advisor.
- Adheres to Zero Accounts Receivable and Zero Backlog procedures.
- Adheres to High-Performance Team Contract.
- Complies with continuing education requirements for agent licensing as well as professional designations.
- Keeps informed regarding industry information, new product information, coverages and technology to continuously improve knowledge and stay current.
- Business acumen.
- Communication proficiency
- Customer/client focus.
- Results driven.
COMPUTER SKILLS: Demonstrate strong PC skills including Word, Excel, and Outlook. Knowledge of Agency Management Systems.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS: Must be organized, detail oriented, able to multi-task and be efficient with verbal and written communication skills. Must also have the ability to work with others. Must have a high level of problem-solving skills. A positive, team-oriented attitude is necessary to effectively work with a large variety of personalities. Maintain a professional image.
- Work is done in a temperature controlled, non-smoking office environment.
- Workstations are open-aired cubicles.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- There may be some travel associated with this position.
- High level of interpersonal or informational complexity is faced.
- Subject to many interruptions.
- Occasionally subjected to irregular hours.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS (with or without reasonable accommodation):
- Must be able to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
- Ability to access all areas of the VAST offices.
- Ability to access all areas of clients’ facilities and grounds.
- Requires some lifting, pulling, pushing, carrying.
- Ability to lift twenty (20) pounds.
- Ability to crouch, crawl, bend, stoop and climb.
- Prolonged periods of sitting.
- Occasional prolonged standing.
- High-level manual dexterity to operate all office machines and equipment.
- Ability to work accurately and quickly with interruptions.
- Moderate stress due to regular deadlines and daily challenges.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED WORK HOURS
This is a full-time position. Days and hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Travel is seldom and primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area overnight travel may be expected.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Associate degree or the recognized equivalent in education and experience is required. Minimum 3 years’ experience in customer service or insurance related field is also required. Bachelor’s degree with one to three years of insurance related experience is preferred.
Must obtain Michigan Property & Casualty License within 30 to 90 days of employment.
NOTE: This job description is intended to describe the level of work required of the person performing the work. The principal duties outlined are the essential responsibilities and duties. Other duties may be assigned as needed.